Butternut squash soup is a staple in the fall and one I never experienced until a luncheon. By the time I sat down at my seat I was very hungry. As a result I downed a whole demitasse of butternut squash before I even knew what I was eating. Remember I am a picky eater however I loved butternut squash soup. Seasonal ingredients make butternut squash soup a perfect dish in the fall or early winter. I add a twist to my soup, Jalapenos or serranos peppers combine beautifully to take a simple dish to the next level. My Spicy butternut squash soup will keep you warm on a cold night.
Running through the produce section yesterday, there it was a big beautiful butternut squash waiting to be cooked. Butternut squash is easy to cook. You just need to peel the squash, it’s like peeling a tough carrot. Once you peel the squash, you will slice it and cut each slice into small squares. Squash soup needs other flavors so toss in some carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno and broth. I use whatever I have on hand, vegetable or chicken broth works. Simmer everything together for about twenty minutes.
Butternut squash soup needs other flavors so toss in some carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno and broth. I use whatever I have on hand, vegetable or chicken broth works. Simmer everything together for about twenty minutes until the squash squares are fork tender.
Let your soup cool a little, in the meantime pull out your immersion blender and start to blend it all together. I personally like my butternut squash soup smoothly blended. So blend away until you reach your choice of smoothness. After blending everything in your butternut squash soup it’s time to season your soup. I choose paprika and cayenne then salt. Unusual for me to add salt but squash needs salt like a potato needs soup. Salt, then stir and taste, let the soup set for a moment taste again.
Spicy Butternut Squash soup will keep you warm on a cold winter night. You will be using season ingredients that will only enhance the perfect dinner. Another soup that fit the bill is my Comforting Easy Chicken and Rice soup.
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- Immersion Blender or Blender
- 1 Butternut Squash most are about 1 pound, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 Yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ginger chopped or minced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 Jalapeno chopped, remove seeds if you don't like spice
- 1/8 cup Carrots chopped
- 3-4 cups Vegetable or Chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1-3 teaspoons sea salt
Peel your squash and chop it up
- Peel butternut squash, cut it into small squares. When you get to the area with seeds, clean seeds out and continue to chop the remaining squash.
Chop up your vegetables
- Chop up your onion, ginger, garlic, jalapeno. You can remove seeds from jalapeno if you don't like the heat. I often substitute a whole serrano instead of the half a jalapeno for more spicy heat. Slice your carrots.
Let's cook those vegetables in low sodium broth
- Put all of the ingredients from squash to carrots into a dutch oven or large soup pan. Pour low sodium broth, either chicken or vegetable over the vegetables. Simmer everything in the pot for about 20 minutes. You will need to check the squash to see if it is fork tender.
Once the squash is fork tender let's puree!
- Once the squash is softened up enough to be pureed. Turn the heat off and let the ingredients cool a little
- Using an immersion blender or a blender puree everything in the soup pan until the consistency you want. I like my soup smooth so I puree it until smooth. If you use a food processor be careful not to burn yourself.
Final seasoning of the soup
- Once your soup has pureed to the consistency you like, add the paprika, cayenne and a teaspoon of sea salt, stir it all together. Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes. Taste it, it might need a little more salt but add with care and not too much until it is perfect.