Brussel Sprout Salad
Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad with a Lemon Lime vinaigrette will surprise the pickiest of eaters and impress everyone else. Brussel sprout salad, not the first thing that might jump out at me on a menu. My husband and I were at a restaurant and he ordered it more out of wonderment than desire. I don’t even remember the name of the restaurant but I did take photos of the presentation. It was news to me that he like brussel sprouts. Being a picky eater myself, brussel sprouts had never touched my plate. He dared me to try his salad, it was actually really good. So you might be wondering how one serves brussel sprout salad.
Shaved Brussel Sprouts are the Key
Shaved brussel sprouts are the key to a salad that isn’t overwhelming and is surprisingly good. I used a mandolin to shave my brussel sprouts. Of course you are going to take away the outer leaves and wash them before carefully shaving them on a mandolin. You might be wondering how I seasoned them. Seasoning them was a bit on instinct. My husband remembered a lime vinaigrette. Actually one of my favorite recipes uses lime, lemon and orange juice all together. So I wondering why not apply the same idea here.
A Good Vinaigrette Makes This Salad
Simplicity is a major part of my cooking. Why not use lime, lemon and orange juice with extra virgin olive oil for the base of the vinaigrette of the shaved brussel sprout salad. Things could not be easier. Toss it all together with some shallots. Take some initiative and use an immersion blender to blend those shallots with the rest of the vinaigrette.
Toss it All Together
I toss the shaved brussel sprouts with the vinaigrette. Also add your favorite nut, some people like shaved almonds and others like pine nuts. I would chop up the pine nuts before tossing them in. Once the brussel sprouts, vinaigrette, cheese, nuts are all tossed together with some black pepper and salt to taste, you are ready to plate ’em.
A Pretty Presentation
I like to place the salad into a small bowl and then turn it upside down onto a plate to create a mounded effect. When my husband had it I remember a mounded salad on a plate. The appearance is beautiful.
A Little Extra Effort Makes a Huge Impact
I am still going on recollection but there was a boiled egg on top of the shaved brussel sprout salad my husband had. It appeared that the egg was separated and finely chopped. The egg whites were on top with the yolk on the very top of everything. So why not!
Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad
- immersion blender
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts cleaned
- 4 Tablespoons Almonds, sliced or pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup Grated cheese, romano and parmesan use one of the other or a combination
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Boiled eggs whites and yolks separated and chopped
- 1 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Orange, juiced can use bottled orange juice in a pinch, 2 Tablespoons
- 1 Large lemon, juiced
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 Shallot, finely minced
- pinch black pepper
- pinch salt
- Shave or shred the leafy part of the brussel sprouts on a mandolin being careful to not cut your fingers off. Mix with almonds, cheese, pepper and salt.For the vinaigrette, mix together juice of orange, lemon and lime and shallots, Using an immersion blender mix drizzle in olive oil and blend together until smooth and shallots are mostly mixed in. Mix in a pinch of salt pepper. Pour about 2 Tablespoons of vinaigrette over brussel sprout mixture and toss gently. To dress it up place in a small bowl and then invert over a plate to make a mounded salad, top each salad with chopped egg whites and then chopped yolk and sprinkle black pepper over each one. You can also just toss it all together and serve family style.
Love love love this dish!!!!